As mentioned I wasn't very happy with the last one...so I decided to revisit it with the Make it Work challenge.
Here is what I came up with:
This time I put a die cut spiders web over my ombre stripe and used a bigger bolder sentiment, accented with glitter glue. And a spider just for fun! Stamps by Inkadinkado.
Here is the old card for reference:
Still needs some work in my opinion but I will get there!
More tough challenges from the Stamp-a-Faire day! This time the mixing colours challenge from Dawn McVey. I definitely don't use enough yellow so that was my challenge....I picked out a pinky toned purple...the two colours had alot of punch being complimentary, so I picked a moss green (another colour I don't use too much) to tone it down.
I then used a die from Memory Box called Sunburst Cutworks on the purple card. It reminded me a little of a waterlily so I added some colour with Prismacolour pencils. The edges were sponged with Distress Inks and Finnabair pines stamp with the ink splodge from Stampin Up's French Foliage set. I then stamped the dragonfly from Prima Marketing Butterfly Wings Stamp-N-Add Stamp & Embellishment Set on the moss green cardstock using Memento ink pads, let them dry and coloured them in with Prismacolours again. Finally I used some glitter glue to add some sparkle to the wings and assembled the whole with tape.
Having been using lots of bright colours as an antidote to the all white bridal card that kicked off the day, I decided to go back to more muted colours for the Stamp-a-Fair using twine challenge.
I went back to one of my favourite sets, the topiary trees from Papertrey Ink. I made two tags and stamped them in muted colours using Memento ink pads. I accented the flowers with a little Recollections purple glitter glue for a little sparkle! Then I tied the tops with two colours of twine. The background was sponged with a sea sponge, then over stamped with the specks from Tim Holtz Cracks and Specks ste. Et voila....quick and simple (well it would have been had I not spend an hour working out the design...).
Stamp-a-Faire threads challenge....
Build a thread nest....Problem one...I bought thread...but it was NOT on a spool...so it didn't want to curl as the instructions wanted...not even when I wrapped it round stuff.....so I went hunting and found a tiny spool of thread...it wouldn't fall nicely like in the video ...but at least it was a start! I wanted to do something different from a sentiment, so I picked a butterfly as my focal point.
Here is what I came up with:
I cut my butterfly out (matching die and stamps by Sizzix) and coloured him in with Prismacolour pencils. I added a touch of sparkle with a clear Wink of Stella pen.
On green cardstock I sponged the flower stencil using cosmetic sponges and Distress Inkpads. I then further sponged the edges with more distress inks and sprayed it with a mister. After I stamped it with Finnabair bubbles stamp and Inkadinkado dot flourishes. The "nest" was made of gold thread and tucked under the butterfly which was adhered with a sticky foam pad.
I really enjoyed this one...given license to go round a hardware (DIY for those in England!) store and spend up to $10 on anything that took your eyes...I didn't know if we'd be given any ideas or we were on our own...so I picked some washers, some aluminium plumbers tape and some funky shaped tiles. In the end the tile was too heavy for a card, and the tape turned out to have "3M cold weather" written all the way through (I thought it was just the packing outer!! LOL...next time...)...but the washers were fun.
I coloured them with alcohol inks applied with a felt applicator and let them dry. Then I coloured some pearlised textured paper with dye inks (it didn't take alot of colour and remained very subtle). I cut this paper and white vellum with a butterfly die cut from Sizzix. Several layers were adhered together and I drew on the butterfly details with my favourite white jelly roll. The background is layers of blue and pearlised blue card stamped with a checkerboard background from Close to my Heart in a blue memento ink. The edges were distressed with a Tim Holtz distressing tool. Lastly they were all adhered together and some glossy accents by Ranger used to decorate the washers.
I am a little late posting these as my health did not do me any favours on the actual day of, so for now it will be pictures and I will come back and edit later to add materials, techniques etc.
The first challenge of the day was the Bridal Challenge, making a card all in white, with only the use of a neutral colour for a stamped sentiment if wished!
I love monochromatic cards but I do find white challenging (it never stays clean around me!), and this proved to be a challenge in more than one sense as the photography was a challenge too (note to self..purchase a neutral grey background!!)
Here is what I can up with. I decided to go for a card in a shape to make it more unusual. It was layered on the skirt with with die cuts, stamps from Altenews Henna set embossed in white, and white liquid pearls from Ranger. The bodice was cut from patterned vellum and embellished with more white liquid pearls, glitter glue and white ribbon. Finally a white flower (which looks more cream against the other whites) was used as an accent.
Looking forward to joining in with Papertrey inks Stamp-A-Faire tomorrow, a whole day of projects and fun.
Tonight involved a quick run to Lowes (yes Lowes- the challenge involves random supplies) and Michaels to pick up last minute supplies.....Originally from England, this is my first go following something like this in the USA.
I have been making some more cards with a gentle look and sentiment to them. For this one I used Stampin' Up's Painted Petals set (retired) stamped on some lettered scrapbooking paper (but you could recycle an old book too) using chalk inks (color box and versa magic). The butterflies came from Heidi Swapp's Clear Stamp Big Day set and